Trump Criticises US Supreme Court Over Tariff Ruling, Says Judges Should Be ‘Loyal’

On: May 11, 2026 3:25 AM
Follow Us:

Washington DC (US), May 11, 2026, BNN Web Staff: Donald Trump has sharply criticised the US Supreme Court after a ruling against his administration’s tariff policy, saying some Republican-appointed judges failed to remain “loyal” and warning that future decisions on issues like birthright citizenship could further damage the country’s economy.

In a series of posts on his social media platform Truth Social, Trump specifically targeted Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett for siding against his administration in the tariff dispute.

Trump said he respected both judges but claimed their decision had harmed the United States financially.

According to him, the court ruling could force the government to refund nearly USD 159 billion collected through tariffs imposed on foreign imports.

He argued that the financial setback could have been avoided if the court had added what he described as a “tiny sentence” stating that money already paid to the US government did not need to be returned.

The former president also accused Republican-appointed judges of trying too hard to appear independent by ruling against him, while claiming Democratic-appointed justices remain supportive of the administrations that nominated them.

Trump further said that while he does not demand personal loyalty, he expects judges to act in what he called the national interest.

He warned that upcoming rulings on birthright citizenship could create additional economic and social pressure on the United States.

The controversy comes after a federal trade court struck down a 10 per cent blanket tariff introduced under Section 122 of the 1974 Trade Act. The court ruled that the administration had not provided sufficient legal justification for the tariffs.

The decision marked another legal setback for Trump’s trade agenda after an earlier Supreme Court ruling had already invalidated a broader set of tariffs imposed by his administration.

According to reports, the court has directed the government to stop collecting the disputed duties from the companies involved in the case and begin the refund process.

However, the ruling currently applies only to the plaintiffs who challenged the tariffs in court.

Legal and economic experts say the ongoing battle over tariffs has created uncertainty for businesses and importers, especially regarding refund timelines and future trade measures.